First Year At SCAD
Winter Quarter 2011
- B.S., Entrepreneurship, Technical Theatre, Ball State University
- M.F.A., Theatre Management and Producing, Columbia University
- M.B.A., General Management, Nyack College
- Managing Director and Development Director, The Irish Repertory Theatre
- General Manager, Camp Broadway
- General Manager, Ford Center for the Performing Arts (aka Foxwoods Theatre)
- Director of Operations, Clear Channel Entertainment/SFX/Pace Theatrical Group (aka Broadway Across America)
Most Significant Accomplishment
“Two beautiful daughters.”
Arts & Business Council Of New York: National Arts Marketing Project Certificate; Commercial Theatre Institute (14-week program); The Foundation Center: Introduction to Corporate Giving, Introduction to Fundraising Planning, Grant Seeking Basics, Proposal Writing, Budgeting Basics; Non-Profit Coordinating Committee: Non-Profit Governance; FEMA – National Emergency Training Center: Emergency Program Manager, Emergency Preparedness (USA), The Professional in Emergency Management, Introduction to Mitigation, Anticipating Hazardous Weather & Community Risk, Developing and Managing Volunteers; National Fire Academy: Emergency Response to Terrorism; American Management Association: Improving the Managerial Skills of the New or Prospective Manager; Mediabistro: Digital Marketing Boot Camp; Coursera: New Venture Finance – Startup Funding for Entrepreneurs; Design Thinking for Innovation.
Academic Awards, Honors, and Recognition
Nyack College: Dean’s MBA Scholarship Award, Master of Business Administration Graduate Scholarship; Columbia University: Shubert Presidential Scholarship, Hammerstein Center Departmental Research Assistantship; Ball State University: Ernst & Young Outstanding New Venture Plan – The Illustre Theatre; Kennedy Center/American College Theatre Festival Meritous Scene Design Award – The Fourth Chair, Departmental Scene Design Award – The Loves of Cass McGuire, Upperclassman Theatre Scholarships; William Givens/First Merchants Bank Scholarship; Department of Theatre and Dance Performance Scholarship; George Vanlandingham/Junto Club Scholarship.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Association of Arts Administration Educators
- Americans for the Arts & Americans for the Arts Action Fund
- Georgia Arts Network
- National Assembly of State Arts Agencies
Presentations, Publications and Industry Participation
- Association of Arts Administration Educators 2016 Annual Conference – Lead Panelist Preparing for Innovation: What’s In Your Toolkit? (Co-Panelists: Dee Boyle-Clapp, Arts Extension Service; Cathy Hernandez, Drexel University; De Carla Applewhaite, University of the West Indies; and Todd Dellinger, Rider University)
- Main Street Cultural Arts Center – A Technology Decision / A Teaching Case Study In Capital Equipment Purchasing Decision Making, The Case Centre, 2015.
- Manuscript Review: Shane, Rachel, A participant-oriented evaluative case study of the Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts Internship Program, Journal of Arts Management, Law and Society, 2015.
- Association of Arts Administration Educators 2015 Annual Conference – Panelist Awareness and Evolution: New Practices Surrounding the Graduate School Experience and Self-Reflection (Co-Panelists: Michelle Franzetti, University of Kentucky; Dr. Jean Brody, Drexel University; Dr. Rachel Shane, University of Kentucky.)
- Manuscript Review: Worth, Michael J. Fundraising Principles and Practice, Sage Publications, 2015.
- Association of Arts Administration Educators 2014 Annual Conference – Lead Panelist Case Studies, Technology, and Pedagogy, Oh My! (Co-Panelists: Larry Epstein, Drexel University; Dr. Ursula Kuhar, Sweet Briar College; Dr. Amanda Nelson, Virginia Tech University; Dr. Lidia Varbanova, McGill University).
- Association of Arts Administration Educators 2014 Annual Conference – Panelist Online Pedagogy: Online Teaching Tools and Strategies (Co-Panelists: Dee Boyle-Clapp, Arts Extension Service; Dr. Jean Brody, Drexel University; Robert Wildman, Long Island University).
- Association of Arts Administration Educators 2011 Annual Conference – Panelist Serving From The Ivory Tower: Redirecting The Conversation (Co-Panelists: Antonio Culyer, Barbara Hauptman, Purchase College).
- Alliance of Resident Theatres/New York – The Nancy Quinn Fund, Grant Application Review Panelist (2008).
- Georgia Council for the Arts – Grant Application Review Panelist (2012-present).
- SouthArts – Grant Application Review Panelist (2016 – present).
- GuideStar User Advisory Panelist (2013-2014).
Inspiration for Teaching
“Arts administration is my passion. After seeing my first play, I knew I was going to have a career in the theatre. However, as the years passed, I also realized that my creative talents paled to those around me. It is then that I discovered the discipline of arts administration and I never looked back. I love everything about it, none more than that the arts administrator is indeed a ‘jack of all trades, master of none.’ For the arts administrator, no two days are the same and every day is a challenge.
Having ‘paid my dues’ as a professional and learned a lot in both commercial and not-for-profit theatre, I felt it was time for me to share my experiences with those that share my passion. It is my objective to teach others all that I know so they can then become the arts leaders of tomorrow.”
Final Project/Thesis Committee Work
Between Winter Quarter 2011 and Spring Quarter 2015, I have assisted graduate students with their research-based or project based theses. Of these students, 57 were as committee chair and 63 as a committee member.
In addition, I have also served as instructor for a total of 27 completed final (capstone) projects as part of the course AADM 749.
* Disclaimer that there is some small overlap between project-based theses and final (capstone) projects as some that started with the former eventually transferred to the latter and/or were re-admitted only to be able to complete the latter.
Other Service To The College
- Collaborative Initiatives Council, Member (2011/2012, 2012/2013), Chair (2013/2014)
- Graduate Studies Thesis Proposal Award Committee (2011/2012, 2012/2013, 2013/2014)
- Graduate Studies Thesis Award Committee (2015)
Courses Taught And Written
- BDAL 225 Legal Issues in Arts and Entertainment (Savannah)
- BUSI 265 Principles of Marketing (Savannah)
- BDAL 701 Principles of Business Design and Arts Leadership (eLearning)
- BDAL 709 Business Complexities in Creative Industries (Savannah, eLearning)
- BDAL 720 Arts Financing and Money Management (Savannah, eLearning)
- BDAL 739 Raising Funds for Nonprofit Arts Organizations (Savannah)
- BDAL 745 Marketing Arts and Cultural Initiatives (eLearning)
- BDAL 746 Arts Leadership M.A. Internship (eLearning)
- BDAL 749 Business Design and Arts Leadership Final Project (eLearning)
- BDAL 788 Arts Administration M.A. Thesis (eLearning)
- BUSI 760 Advanced Financial Management (Savannah)
eLearning Courses Authored
- BDAL 720 Arts Financing and Money Management
- BDAL 746 Business Design and Arts Leadership M.A. Final Project
- BDAL ACCT Accounting Competency Workshop
eLearning Courses Edited
- BDAL 709 Business Complexities in Creative Enterprises
- BUSI 710 Financial Reporting and Analysis
- BDAL 739 Funding Arts and Cultural Initiatives
- BDAL 745 Marketing Art and Design Ventures
- BDAL 565 Master of Arts Review for Candidacy